Web popanalysis.blogspot.com

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

 

Get ready

Inspiration: "When I was a kid, I inhaled. That was the point."
Image: Obama visiting HLS

Barack Obama has confirmed that he is considering a presidential run in 2008. Of course, I think Obama is amazing, but I must admit that his lack of experience gives me pause. Obama is intelligent, attractive, charismatic, shares my values -- but he has only served 2 years in the Senate. Should this matter? I used to think it did, but now I'm not so sure. After all, George W. Bush had two terms as governor, and that certainly didn't help him. Of course, Bush is also an idiot. Given that Obama is not an idiot and does not shun logic, reason, or science, I am sure that he would manage the job just fine.

Despite Obama's personal capabilities, his political opponents will capitalize on his lack of political experience. I'm pretty sure that Obama's relative newness to the political scene and, yeah, being black will make it difficult for him to gain the trust of the swing voters who will determine the election. When I think of swing voters, I think of libertarians and the Republicans who just don't like the war. Maybe I'm prejudiced, but I suspect that there are more than a few repressed, or not so repressed, racists in those groups who don't like 'wasting money' on social welfare programs or guest worker programs for immigrants.

Fortunately, I have come up with a solid campaign strategy that will help Obama build bridges to racist swing voters. Obama needs to make sure that everybody knows that without him, we would not have the Attacking Viral Influenza Across Nations Act providing for "the procurement of antivirals, development of effective vaccines, and improvement of the public health infrastructure and medical surge capacity in hospitals." Obama should run on the bird flu platform. As scared as racists are of black people and immigrants, they should be even more afraid of bird flu, and everyone should be able to agree that antiviral drugs are good -- except for Christian Scientists, but who cares about them anyway?

Comments:
personally I think his lack of 'experience' is a good thing - less favors he owes, less influence by corruption...
but i'm a-political, go figure.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?